This delicious Creamy Rice with Butternut Squash and Morcilla Iberica is one of the best comforting foods you will ever have. To be fair it is not the easiest dish to make (or to nail) but it’s absolutely gorgeous and perfect for a colder autumn or winter day. The Morcilla Ibérica de Bellota adds a meaty flavor and some texture to it. Follow carefully these instructions. Cheers!
- 400g Butternut Squash
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 Morcilla Iberica de Bellota
- 1.25L Vegetable Stock
- 60mg - Sherry
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 250g of Bomba Rice
- 75g Dried Apricots (cut into strips)
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 150ml of sour cream
- Garnish herbs, fresh mint leaves.
How to prepare
- Heat the oven to 430 °F. Line a roasting tray with foil.
- Toss the diced squash in 1 tbsp of olive oil and the sugar to coat. Spread coated squash out on the roasting tray. Roast until the squash begins to get color on the edges, about 15 minutes. Put to one side.
- Meanwhile, take the morcilla and cut thin slices, about 5 mm. Set aside.
- Heat the stock and sherry to a low simmer.
- In a saucepan, cook the onion and spices in 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat until just softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice to coat, followed by the apricots and garlic.
- Stir in the stock, one ladle at a time, and simmer until most of the stock has been absorbed, about 18 - 20 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- Gently stir in the sour cream, fold in the morcilla and the squash and cook gently for a further few minutes. The rice should be moist and creamy, rather than firm.
- Switch off the heat and leave for a few minutes.
- Serve garnished with mint leaves.