Spanish Tortilla (Potato Omelette) with Jamon 100% Ibérico de Bellota
The one and only Tortilla de Patatas with Jamón Pata Negra. What a treat for you and your guests!
This is an easy recipe but the execution is key. There are several steps that you have to make sure you do them correctly in order to have the best tortilla ever. It probably takes two or three attempts to nail it!
Here are a few tips to make the best Spanish Tortilla:
1- Use Extra Virgin Olive Oil to fry the potatoes
2- Fry the potatoes at low to medium heat so 90% are soft and 10% slightly crunchy and brownish.
3- Despite the controversy make it with onion.
4- DON’T OVERCOOK. A good tortilla de patatas has to be quite runny in the middle.
5- Top it with the finest Jamón 100% Ibérico de Bellota you can find.
Take your time preparing this iconic dish from Spain. You can make it ahead of time and enjoy it cold or reheated. Just make sure to top it with the Jamón right when you are ready to enjoy it.
Brought to you by Tapas Academy from Ibérico Club.
- 3 big potatoes (russet or yukon gold)
- 6 fresh eggs
- One white onion
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Jamón 100% Ibérico de Bellota
How to prepare
- Cut the potatoes in medium-size slices.
- Mince one big onion.
- Crack 6 fresh eggs in a bowl, add some salt and beat for a couple of minutes.
- Fry the potatoes at medium heat on abundant extra virgin olive oil until 90% of them are soft and 10% are slightly brown with a little crunch. When done, set them apart in a bowl.
- Fry the minced onion at medium heat until translucent. When done, put them in the same bowl as the potatoes.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the bowl and very gently mix well. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture in a medium-size pan at medium heat. Wait for 5 minutes until you see the bottom part coming together. The mixture should still be very runny. It's time to flip the tortilla!
- In order to flip the tortilla place a big plate on top of the pan and flip both (pan+plate) at the same time quickly and carefully. Then slide the tortilla back into the pan.
- Cook the other side just a little bit (1 to 2 minutes) to leave it slightly runny on the inside.
- Top the Spanish Tortilla with some slices of the best best Jamón 100% Ibérico de Bellota.