You have received an impressive Whole Jamón Pata Negra, and now you need to get ready to enjoy it. The first time it can be a little bit overwhelming, but there’s nothing to worry about.
Opening a new Whole Jamón 100% Ibérico de Bellota is kind of a ritual. Exciting moments ahead! You want to take your time to do it right and make sure everything looks good.
Before starting, find a place where you can get your hands greasy. Have plenty of paper towel available to clean the melted fat covering the jamón. Scissors and a good serrated knife come in very handy. Now you’re ready to start!
Brought to you by Tapas Academy from Ibérico Club
- Whole Jamón 100% Ibérico de Bellota "Pata Negra"
- Paper towels
How to prepare
- Open the box and take out the Whole bone-in jamón 100% Ibérico de Bellota.
- Remove the plastic seal.
- Remove the small pieces of fabric that protect the hoof and hipbone.
- Clean the excess of melted fat with a paper towel.
- Place the ham firmly in the ham holder provided by Ibérico Club with the “Maza” (thicker side) facing up.
- Ideally let it breath for a day at room temperature (It’s ok if you can’t wait. We get it).
- With a serrated knife make a diagonal deep cut into the shank until you hit the bone.
- Remove the skin and yellow fat from the area where you’ll start slicing the ham.
- Save 3 or 4 slices of fat to cover the exposed meat surface when done slicing for the day.
- Now you are ready to start slicing the ham.